Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Weave- it loom and weaving and what I did with it

Hello fellow needleworkers and crafters,

I hope you are able to create as much as you want, or as time will allow at any rate.  Creating does something for heart, soul and spirit.

The other morning I was putting canned goods away from our trip to SAM’s wharehouse store, and at the back of my cabinet I spied two boxes.

I barely remember putting these in the cabinet, and after I realized where I got them, I figured they’ve been in there about 18 years. So, I brought them out to light of day, and decided to try using what was inside the small one first. The first try was with size 10 crochet thread, because I like small threads, but I made two mistakes and didn’t like the way it looked. Last night I tried again and used yarn, like the directions say to do anyway, and it turned out much better.

Here are the boxes. My late MIL bought these up north near where they lived and I inherited them when she passed away.

07-11-weave-it-looms

07-11-weave-it-copyright

07-11-weave-it-store-tag

Here is the small loom and needle.

07-11-sm-weave-it-loom

Here is my finished little weaving, which I did a single crochet edging around.  I didn’t notice the light lavender color while working on it, as I was so engrossed in weaving.  I noticed the lavender this morning when I wanted to do something with it. The weaving is about 2 inches by 2 inches, a ‘twinchie’.

07-11-sm-weave-it-weaving

I wanted to make a beaded heart to applique to the weaving so that’s what I did. Then I saw the lavender in the weaving and added some little light lavender seed beads. The color of background is not right in this photo, which picked up too much red, making it look pinkish which it isn’t.

07-11-aqua-heart1

I then cut out the heart, and sewed it to the weaving using two strands of sewing thread, a lavender and an aqua color, using the blanket stitch. I already have a box of frames that DH had made up for me from scraps of molding that we have, so picked one out to go with this piece.  I mounted the piece to foam board with the 4 corner beads.

07-11-aqua-heart3

The frame is brushed metal and sanded down to take off the oxidation that had happened on it over the years.  I love how this turned out. Now I just need to put brads in the back to hold it, and a backing, a label and it will be ready to upload to my Etsy shop.

07-11-aqua-heart2

I’ve been thinking about this next piece for a week or so and got it started this afternoon by printing out the words.  This will have an antique frame, 7 1/4 inches by 9 1/4 inches.  I’m probably going to make another starfish in either ecru or cream same with the sand dollar, as the white is too stark for this piece. I will use seed beads for grains of sand.

07-11-how-precious

That’s it for now.  It’s time to have a glass of pre-dinner wine, while I figure out what to fix for supper tonight. Smile Last night we had tilapia fish with kiwi-ginger sauce, delicious, served over brown jasmine rice and mixed vegetables.

Happy Creating ~ FlowerLady Lorraine

9 comments:

Suztats said...

Oooh, fun! And great results, too!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you, now I need to try another one.

FlowerLady

Marjolein said...

I remember as a child I had a "thing" to weave with. It was fun, till the warp or weft (don't know wich) threads that were already in there, were used up.

Stitching Lady said...

How I love this little weaving. So good to make something with one's hands.

Susan Elliott said...

Love that little weaving tool. The crochet shells are marvelous Lorraine, and I think your composition is going to be precious. Though, I actually like the white and the contrast it gives. happy stitching, Susan

Fiona Larsen said...

You have made me hungry talking about your menu! Sounds delicious! Your lovely little creations are wonderful to look at. Thanks so much for sharing! Thanks also for visiting my site and your lovely comment.

NickiLee said...

Love your little weaving project - brought back some sweet memories of when I was in Girl Scouts. Also adore your little seashell design and saying. You've been one busy lady.

Starr White said...

Your little twinchie weaving project is lovely, and I very much look forward to seeing the wonderful seashell and scripture project progress. Wonderful work!
-Starr

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. So glad you found the little looms in their hiding place. Your finished piece is sweet. I look forward to seeing the next project in line completed. I love the tiny shells you crocheted!

oxo Judy